Monday, May 13, 2013

Get 'er done!

I'm sitting here this morning, sipping my coffee, planning my day (laundry, mopping, dusting, playing outside, maybe some play-doh?) And I'm so grateful to be able to do all that... to be wearing clothes besides pajamas... to have shoes on...

I've never had much compassion for women who complained about being on bed rest. You've been told by a medical professional that you're not allowed to do housework, cook meals, buy groceries, or otherwise exert yourself. You get to lie around and watch movies all day, without the typical "mom guilt" because there is nothing else you "should" be doing. What on earth are you complaining about?

... Until they put me on bed rest... for only TWO DAYS... and I felt like I was going out. of. my. mind.

So, my apologies to any of you moms who were put on bed rest for weeks or months at a time. I might have silently judged your complaints. And I am humbled.

Everything is fine. I'm no longer on bed rest, and I have a check up next week where I'm sure the doctor will tell me everything is exactly the way it should be for this point in the pregnancy.

But this weekend gave me a scare... mainly because I still have so much to do! I'm 15 weeks away from my due date, which sounds like a lot... except that 15 weeks ago, I was hovering over a toilet on New Years Day praying to God that my breakfast would stay down... and that feels like it was yesterday (oh wait, that did happen yesterday... but you get what I'm saying, right?) 15 weeks is not that long.

Especially when I consider everything there is to do between now and then: field day, end of school parties, Maple's birthday, a wedding, a vacation, kids camp, a trip to Haiti (for Brandon), and lots of prep for our first year of homeschooling.... not to mention actually getting ready for the baby. You know, things like buying a baby bed, and making space for a baby and all her stuff... oh yeah... and picking a name.... we should probably do that.

So today... since I'm NOT on bed rest... I'm motivated to take advantage of the time that I have.

I will do laundry. Lots and lots of laundry. I will detail clean my living room (mopping, dusting, and tackling the stuff that's hanging off my ceiling fan). And at the end of today, I will be one step closer to being ready for this summer... and ready for baby.... At least, that's what I keep telling myself.



3 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, Brandy. Bed rest. Blech. I.hate.bed.rest. When I was pregnant with Jack, I got put on bed rest at 7 1/2 months until he was born. I was the same as you thinking "what's the big deal with bed rest?" until it happened. Ugh. Praying all things continue to stay well and you VERTICAL ;).

Be good to yourself. I love you.

And your blog looks lovely!

Brandy Thixton said...

Jess, I was on bed rest for weeks with Maple... but when they put me on bed rest, I only had one kid, no commitments outside the home, and a super-clean house (did I mention only one kid and no commitments outside the house?), plus Brandon was around a lot. This time would be totally different, and I too am praying that I stay vertical until the end!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog posts.... sometimes I feel judged by the choices I've made and being a stay at home mom... and ssometimes I feel like I've lost my identity and my sanity... but you are always encouraging and honest... and its refreshing. Only a mother can understand the trials of mother and wife-hood. Thanks for simply sharing yours. (Samantha Jones)

The Quote That Started It All...

I myself have twelve hats, each one representing a different personality. Why be just yourself? - Margaret Atwood