Thursday, May 1, 2008

Character Introduction: Chloe Jane, a.k.a. Joy of my Life

There are few things in life more fulfilling than spending time with my 19-month-old daughter. I love watching her discover the world for the first... second... and third time. Because that leaf that was there yesterday receives just the same "Ooooo..." as she picks it up today. I love watching her personality unfold as she runs head-first into the world (at least... into our backyard). I love to see "my" stubbornness come out in her. And while, seeing how strong-willed she is at this age, I am slightly fearful of the teenage years, I also recognize that the Lord has created her to stand where others may fall and to hold fast where others may give up. I can only pray that she will learn wisdom to know when to be "stubborn" and when to submit.

But I think she may have an easier time learning that than I have had, because she has her father's kindness. My husband is the most compassionate person I know. I cannot tell you how many times I have stood beside him, absolutely amazed by his ability to diffuse a situation with a loving compassionate response. When I would have told that person what-for and that Idontcarewhoyouthinkyouare,nobodycantalktomelikethat, his responses are loving, compassionate, and firm. Chloe has that compassion. I can see it in her everyday.

Yesterday was no exception to the joy that is raising this little girl. So just for all (3 of) you folks out there, here is a peek into the Life of Chloe...







With blankey in hand, and thumb in mouth (both essential for a good night's sleep)...

Wake up in the morning....













To daddy's smiling face...








Humor him because he thinks he's funny (and mommy thinks he's hilarious)....















East breakfast (usually cheerios and a piece of fruit...)


















Talk on the phone... even if nobody is on the other end...















Talk on the phone some more....















Can I help you?



















Go outside and play in the yard.




















Pick up lots of rocks and obey mommy when she says leave them outside. Still, sometimes they end up in the washing machine... not sure how that happens.















Back inside for a tickle fight with mommy...

















... and a little game of hide and seek.

















Here I am, mommy!


















Play guitar and sing! She's so talented!




















Sit in time-out (see paragraph on stubbornness above).























Go outside again, and play until dark.









Finally, we read a book (or 5), say our prayers, and head for bed. I should note that, if the prayer goes too long, Chloe Jane says "Aaaaaamen" right in the middle of it.

But I don't have pictures of any of that because - hello? - it's bedtime. And, well, would YOU want me to take pictures of YOU when YOU're trying to go to sleep?

So, that's a normal day in the life of Chloe Jane. Of course, very few days are "normal" with a toddler, and everyday is filled with new surprises, both good and bad. Still, I wouldn't trade one day with Chloe Jane for a million days without her. If only I could figure out a way to keep her from growing up so fast...

I hope you enjoyed this little character introduction... stay tuned for more....

2 comments:

Debbie C. said...

Love the pics and your commentary. She is beautiful and isn't it amazing how God puts just the right people together (well, most of the time, IF those people are hearing Him) to raise these young ones. My hubby is the wise and compassionate one and I am the more reactive and law-abiding parent. Apparently it's a good mix. We seem to balance each other out in all areas, including child training. Chloe will be great! By the way, my favorite time, when they were little, was in the morning when they first woke up.

Anonymous said...

I'm your second comment. Two more and you will know for sure that more than three people read this.

ahem

If you are reading this and wondering whether or not to leave a comment, would you please? For crying out loud. Just look at that baby! What's not to comment on?
-end rant-

There. Maybe that will help.

The Quote That Started It All...

I myself have twelve hats, each one representing a different personality. Why be just yourself? - Margaret Atwood