Saturday, August 9, 2008

Forget Nemo, bring it ON!

I realize I just posted, like, five minutes ago. But I have to tell ya'll about one of life's small joys here in the South. In particular, a small joy that I and my family are about to experience.

Those of you up North (and some of you down South) may not know this joy. If that statement pertains to you, you are ALL invited to go with me the next time you are in these here parts.

Ya'll, tonight, we're goin' to the Fish House.

For you Northerners, no, it is not (usually) an actual house. And no, fish do not live there.

The Fish House in any restaurant (metal shack, hole in the wall, log cabin, etc.) where families go to eat food. But not just ANY food. Oh, no. We're talkin'...

Fried Catfish.
French Fries.
Fried Hush Puppies.
Fried Shrimp.
Fried Ham.
Fried Chicken.
(Getting the picture here?)

And it's all topped of with warm homemade biscuits, peach cobbler with ice cream, and ice-cold SWEET tea (picture pancake syrup with a straw).

For reasons I'm sure you can imagine, this is NOT a regular treat for our family and we tend to eat nothing but salad for the week after the engorgement... err, um... feast.

Still, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. (Wish I had a spit tube now!)

Ya'll come back now, ya hear?

1 comment:

Beloved of the Lord said...

So I've been in the south for since 1998 now and still have not been to The Fish House. Me and you are good friends Brandy, and the Lord most likely united us for this very reason!! When are WE going to The Fish House? If I new they had hushpuppies I would have been begging you long ago!!!

The Quote That Started It All...

I myself have twelve hats, each one representing a different personality. Why be just yourself? - Margaret Atwood