Friday, August 22, 2008

How to make 600 calories feel like enough:

1. Use a small plate. A mound of food on a small plate seems like a lot more than food that is spread out over a large plate.

2. Take small bites. If you have to, pre-cut the bites into really small pieces and only eat one at a time.

3. Eat with Chopsticks. Unless you're from Asia, it will take you longer to eat with wooden sticks than with a fork.

4. Use lots of pepper/hot sauce. I promise you will feel full faster and stay full longer; though I'm not sure why.

5. When taking each bite, try to describe the food in your mind without using standard food words. Example: This orange tastes bright and boisterous. (Thanks to Starr for this tip.)

6. Drink lots of water and calorie-free drinks. If you're really hungry, chug as much water as you can without taking a breath. You'll have so much liquid sloshing around inside, you won't even want to think about food.

7. Coffee with splenda is a calorie-free drink. (woo hoo!)

8. Think of it as a spiritual fast, even if your primary goals are physical. Each time your stomach complains, pray that, just as your stomach hungers for food, your spirit will hunger for the Lord. (This won't make you less hungry, but it will give your hunger a purpose!)

9. Think about how great you will feel in three months when you're healthy and energized.

10. Think about how great you will feel in three months when you finally get to eat a brownie! (Ok... this is actually NOT such a great idea in helping to curb hunger and cravings. It's more something that just naturally happens when you're munching on raw broccoli.)

More to come...

5 comments:

Amy said...

I have been wondering just how on earth you were going to do this. Thanks for filling me in.
I will eat two brownies today for you. I'm just one person, Brandy, but I do what I can.

Beloved of the Lord said...

These are such good pointers. It can be so simple if we do our best to keep it that way. I know you can do this girlfriend, and I am so excited about how good you are doing to feel, and even though I think you look awesome now, Whoa-- hottie-- that's all I have to say!!!

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart! I'm praying for you. What are you eating at each meal? I'm having a hard time imagining just 600 calories a day.

Brandy Thixton said...

teresa, you are the 4th person who has asked me that today... which probably means I'm talking about this too much. =)

Answer to come soon...

Brandy Thixton said...

oh, and amy, I can't tell you how much your sacrifice means to me. There are no words.

The Quote That Started It All...

I myself have twelve hats, each one representing a different personality. Why be just yourself? - Margaret Atwood