Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Tasty Morning

This morning was a good one.

My little one, who just a month ago was not waking up until 9:30 or 10:00am, has suddenly decided that 7:20am works better for her schedule and that breakfast must be served promptly at 7:30am (to avoid, you know, a total emotional breakdown first thing in the morning). So most mornings (since Hubby doesn't get up until 8:30am), I get up, fix a quick breakfast (Hello! PB&J with bananas!), and turn on the ever-so-entertaining Playhouse Disney. Then I grumble something about being quiet so "daddy" can sleep while I grab a pillow and blanket and attempt to catch a few more Zzz's on the couch.

Now, I realize that this is not the way a "good" SAHM starts her day. According to flylady, I should be up and dressed by 7:10am and ready to tackle whatever cleaning task is on my list for the day. Yeah, notsomuch.

But this morning was a little different. Last night, as we have done the last few nights, we slept with our windows open. The weather this week has been warm and breezy, and the fresh air feels good in our home. So when the Little Princess came in my room at 7:24am and informed me that it was time to get up, I actually FELT like getting out of bed.

Sure enough, I got up, got dressed (complete with hair and makeup)and set to the task of making breakfast. Then I opened my cabinets and realized that today is grocery day; therefore I have NOTHING to make for breakfast this morning. No bread, no bananas, no pancakes, no milk, no juice, no nothing (unless a spoonful of peanut butter and canned corn counts).

So in that moment, I decided that - what with the warm weather, no food, and a sudden surge of morning-time energy - today would be a good day to walk down to the local Dunkin Donuts and splurge.

With a quick mention in the direction of "chocolate muffin," Chloe was dressed in no time, and we headed out the door. (Daddy was still snug as a bug in a bed-shaped rug, it being his day off and all.)

As luck would have it, one of the pastors was heading out to get some pastries for his morning class and offered us a ride. Woo hoo!

Here's a little taste (no pun intended) of our trip :


Hyped up on caffeine (me) and chocolaty deliciousness (her), we decided to take the long way back to the house. On the way home, we stopped by a little store and purchased Chloe her first book bag. Believe it or not, out of all the pink, purple, red, frilly, polka-dot, kitty cat, princess bags... she chose a blue school bus bag. (This could have something to do with the myriads of children we saw boarding their own school buses as we walked towards DD's.)



We were about 2 blocks from home when we remembered... we had left daddy's muffin at the store. Being the good wife that I am, I said we should leave it and let daddy fend for himself since he didn't want to come walk with us. But Chloe was VERY distraught at the thought of her daddy without breakfast (and I'm sure the fact that half of her chocolate muffin was in the bag never crossed her mind); so we walked all the way back to the store and grabbed the bag. Needless to say, taking the long way home no longer seemed like a good idea. As a matter of fact, the early morning wake-up was catching up to me and the caffeine high was wearing off. So we hopped a taxi. "Don't you judge me."

Still, we were home by 10:00am, full of sugary goodness and ready to chill out.

Now, after talking to Papa for a few minutes, Chloe is quietly playing with her new book bag, completely oblivious that mommy is about to interrupt playtime for a good (hopefully long) nap time.

Yum. Yum.

Oh, I suppose we should go to the grocery store at some point to... although Dunkin Donuts for breakfast again doesn't sound like such a bad plan...

No comments:

The Quote That Started It All...

I myself have twelve hats, each one representing a different personality. Why be just yourself? - Margaret Atwood