Monday, January 13, 2014

10 Things About January 2014

So last night I totally outlined a nice, well planned, thoughtful post.

Then tonight the baby decided she didn't want to go to sleep until 9:45pm. So here it is, almost 10pm, and that outline is going to remain an outline, and in my notebook, for the time being.

So due to the time constraints, and the lack of creativity not swirling around in my head, I present the list format:

1. I have lost 10 pounds since this thing started. My goal was to lose 23 pounds by my birthday in March, and I am almost at the half-way mark. What WHAT?!

2. I am consistently doing 2 out of my 3 things every day. Still can't drag myself out of bed early enough to squeeze it all in, but I'm loving the results of what I have been able to do.

3. Did you know there is a "right" way to walk? I mean. It's walking. I've been doing it for, like, almost 30 years. You'd think I'd have it down by now. I knew from my not-so-recent visit to a "professional" runner's store that I put more pressure on the outside of my feet when I walk. But what I just learned (thanks to my awesome friend Kelly) is that the way I walk can be corrected. Who knew? So here's the deal. I walked some hilly territory yesterday, while pushing a stroller - all the while, focusing on walking "the right way." I fully expected to have shin splints this morning, as is usually the case after a walk like that. But when I rolled out of bed, lo and behold, I had sore calves (something I can't ever remember having, ever) and no shin splints. AND I had my best time ever. Even with the hills. Even with the stroller. So now I'm sold. I am totally researching and watching YouTube videos on the "right" way to run and walk. Who knew, right?

4. Babies are fun. This 4-6 month range is definitely one of my favorites. Sleeping all night. On a fairly regular schedule. Old enough to have personality, young enough to lack an opinion... or mobility. Right now it's bubbles, and raspberries, and coo's, and squeals, and giggles. There's nothing in the world like a baby's belly laugh, and I'm getting them in every chance I get.

5. There are 2 months and 3 days left in my 20's. This was the topic of the blog post I outlined. So that's all I have to say about that tonight.

6. Has anyone seen kid snippets on YouTube? My kids are addicted, and I have been using the videos as rewards for getting schoolwork done in the day. Hi-larious.

7. Homeschooling has suddenly become easy. I don't know how long it will last, but I'm enjoying it while I can. Chloe is excelling in her reading, and she's not hating Math. That, my friends, is a small miracle. Can I get an amen? But more than that, she is becoming confident in her abilities, bold in her beliefs, and comfortable in her own skin. If she learns nothing else this school year, I will consider homeschooling a success.

8. Having said that, it looks like Maple will be heading to Kindergarten next year. She is definitely the social butterfly in our family, and she keeps asking when she gets to go to school. Nothing will be decided until we know what school system we're in next year. (Oh yeah, we're moving. We literally know NOTHING else right now, as we're waiting on several factors before we can even begin to talk details. But that's another post for another time.) Suffice it to say, we think she's ready for school, and we think she will thrive. She agrees, and that's something right there.

9. Brandon's dad gave us a Wii over the Christmas break. It has made every single night "family night" at the Thixton house. Our former bedtime traditions have been scrapped and replaced by a rousing game of Mario Party. It has been one of the best things we've ever done. Snuggled on the couch, sipping hot cocoa, laughing till we can't breathe, wielding our controllers, and threatening the lives of anyone who dares to take our bananas. We kind of rock.

10. Life is sometimes really difficult. So when there come those rare and beautiful seasons where everything is a little bit easier, I want to remember them. I write them down - not because I only want to present "the good stuff" to the world - rather, so that when the days are once again hard, I can look back and remember that the night does not last forever, and joy comes in the morning. This is a joyful season.

Good night, y'all. Hustle on.

No comments:

The Quote That Started It All...

I myself have twelve hats, each one representing a different personality. Why be just yourself? - Margaret Atwood