Saturday, January 11, 2014

And we're back to this...

A couple days ago, Jon challenged us to cut our goals in half for the month. Ah, like music to my ears.

I was honestly running out of blog topics, and this has given me an opportunity to regroup and really look at what I'm trying to do, and what's keeping me from doing those things.

Right on cue, Jon sent us yesterday's challenge: Figure out your triggers. What will knock you off track? What keeps you from accomplishing your goals?

And then today's challenge: Make a plan for how to deal with those triggers.

So here it goes:

When it comes to my life in general, anything outside of a "normal" schedule gets me off track. This week, I watched a baby in my home for three days. She was sweet, and easy, and absolutely adorable. But the day after she left, I crashed. I did absolutely nothing that I absolutely didn't have to do. Absolutely.

So then when I woke up on Friday morning, my house was a wreck, I was a day behind on, well, life. I was able to get a lot done on Friday, but this Saturday morning, we're still feeling the effects of my "day off" in the middle of the week. (Ok, seriously, I'm going to do those dishes today. No, really.)

But the thing is this: I never, ever, ever - like, ever - have a week with a "normal" schedule. There's always something. Fun things. Like hanging with friends, going to the park with kids, taking a last-minute trip to the zoo. And not so fun things. Like doctor's appointments or car repairs.

So I can't blame, ya know, life for getting in the way of, ya know. life.

And I certainly can't use it as an excuse for just taking a day off in the middle of the week.

The more I have thought about this "trigger," the more I think the answer is found in the Word, and in something I have written about before.

Sabbath.

Sigh. Months later, and I still haven't figured out how to do that. But I think if I had a guaranteed Sabbath each week, I could use that when temptation comes a-calling. I could say, "I have a Sabbath in 'x' number of days. I can make it until then!"

What I also know is this: Sabbath rest is so much better than "day off" rest. I don't know why. I just know that when I declare a day of the week my "Sabbath" and stick to it, I feel rested and at peace. When I randomly decide to take a day "off," I end the day feeling like a failure and making lists of all the things that could have been done during that "wasted" day. I often feel more drained at the end of those days than when I started.

So this morning I am resolved. I'm going to get my house in shape. I'm going to make a big pot of chilli for tomorrow's lunch. I'm going to do whatever I need to do today, so that tomorrow I can take a Sabbath. A real Sabbath. A holy day. Set apart.

I'm sure there are other triggers (I'm looking at you, facebook!), but those will have to wait for another time, another day. Because today has already been claimed.

Love you all! Keep on hustling! 



No comments:

The Quote That Started It All...

I myself have twelve hats, each one representing a different personality. Why be just yourself? - Margaret Atwood