Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jon & Kate

I have been debating with myself since yesterday about whether or not I would join the legions of bloggers who offer their not-so-informed opinions about Jon & Kate's recent decision.

It's Jon's fault. It's Kate's fault. It's TLC's fault. It's the viewing audience's fault.

So many opinions; so many judgments.

I know this sounds silly, but I have prayed for this family since I started watching the show. I have also thanked the Lord for their testimony - that, despite their difficulties, they rely on Him and love each other. And on days when things are really hard around here, I think about Kate and how she relies on the Lord for her strength. (If you haven't read Multiple Bles8ings by Kate, it's an eye-opening read.)

I'm not really one to become "invested" in reality TV. I assume most of it is fake. But, as I have said before, I find myself drawn to Kate - maybe because I see a little of myself in her.

So here we are. It has come down to filing for divorce, and I'm not sure what to say about it. I think Leslie Ruth said everything I'm thinking, and she said it much better than I ever could.

I will say this much. Just give me a minute to find a soap box to stand on...

Divorce sucks. For everyone involved. Whether it hurts when it happens... or it doesn't hurt until 10 years later... eventually, it hurts everybody.

And there is some lie floating around our society - and in our church - that through divorce "maybe now I can be happy" or "maybe now we can have some peace" or "maybe now we can move on and things will get better." BUT THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH, Y'ALL. And so thinking that SIN is going to bring the PEACE that we seek is the very definition of false expectations.

I'm not saying the Lord can't redeem a divorced situation. I'm not saying that, if we turn our hearts to Him, that he can't work things together for good.

I myself have seen that play out in my own family. I have seen how divorce hurts. How, even though it was supposed to be for the better, it hurt e.ver.y.one. I have also seen the Lord's goodness to bring about good for everyone involved. I have a step-family (on both sides) that I could not imagine my life without. I would not be where I am today without them in my life.

But that doesn't change the fact that Divorce Sucks. It doesn't bring peace. It doesn't solve our problems. It IS NOT the "best decision for our kids."

Ok. Stepping off my soap box. Click on over to Diary of a Southern Drama Queen because, honestly, she just said it right.

* Of course, there are Biblical reasons for divorce, and this post is not meant to heap guilt or condemnation on individuals caught in those situations. In this post, I refer only to the use of divorce as an "escape" from marital problems. An "easy" out.

** I'm also not implying that Kate doesn't have grounds for a Biblical divorce. I don't know the details, and I'm sure that few do. Basically, this situation has just made me angry at the Devil, and I'm just making a statement - a fact of life, if you will - about divorce in general. It sucks. That's it.

3 comments:

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

Amen, sister...

Unknown said...

Yes! Divorce really really sucks!!

Toknowhim said...

You are right about many things... Just wanted to stop by and tell you that the answer was Abe Lincoln :)

Blessings, Kim

The Quote That Started It All...

I myself have twelve hats, each one representing a different personality. Why be just yourself? - Margaret Atwood